Musings and Jottings on a Summer Adventure...


Friday 27 July 2012

Day 5 - Patterdale-Shap

Today has been hard work. It started badly with one of tent poles broke. Not only had I foolishly 'parked' the tent on a slope, but the tried to dry stuff by draping it under the outer sheet. It only needed me to fall on it on getting out in a sleepy haze for it to go snap...

My leg was giving me some pain (see yday's post) and what with the pack still wobbling and a 16 miler with 1300 metres (not feet) of ascent, morale was low. Thanks to friends and family who responded to my prayer text as soon as my mobile came into range!

Some stunning countryside today along with rugged climbs-Angletarn Pike, Kidsty Pike, and Haweswater (which is huge). Then left the Lakes and almost immediately both the c2c signage and the sunshine appeared! Followed some lovely rural walking alongside streams to Shap.

I'm b'nb'ing tonight-and loving the Olympic Ceremony!

Gold-medal moments...
-amazing views
-satisfying day-made it even if hard!
-arriving in Shap
-joy at having already decided not to camp tonight before the tent broke
-getting up Kidsty Pike-and redeeming the last time I tried getting up it but got lost :)

Disqualification-certain moments...
-tent breakage (tho a blessing in disguise!)
-nearly out of water again
-various aches...

Surreal-you-know-you-need-company-when moments...
-a sheep bleat that sounded like 'watch your head' (I'm sure...!)
-my water bottle made a D major triad as it banged against something in my pocket...
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment